My Photo
Name:
Location: Sussex, United Kingdom

I'm Cathy, wife, daughter, vegan, animal lover, cat lover, dog owner, crocheter, childless, 60s, part-time home helper, part time personal shopper, part-time IT professional, amateur fundraiser. Looking to make my life as good as possible whilst causing as little harm as possible.

Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Out with the old!



Have you ever noticed how cheap, crap, rubbish foods tend to come in bright, colourful, attractive packs?  Whereas the organic non-perishable stuff I've been buying is very muted - Sainsbury's is all dark, mossy green, shy and retiring, almost as though they didn't want to sell it.

I was made aware of this yesterday when I decided to clear out one of my food cupboards.  This was the one in which I kept all my easily-made food - instant noodles,  sachets of pasta spirals in chemical-laden powder that with the addition of water made a bright-red sauce,  instant coucous.  I don't even like couscous ffs, but put the word "instant" anywhere on the pack and I was there.  I hate waiting for food to cook, I pathologically *loathe* being hungry.

If you don't believe me, compare and contrast the following photographs:

See what I mean?  Purple, yellow, red, blue in the bottom photo, hardly anything other than green and neutrals in the top two.  I wonder how many people buy the prettiest packs, just because they are pretty?

Anyway, that wasn't the purpose of this blog entry.  I wanted to record and report that I have cleared three full carrier bags of undesirable foodstuffs from my cupboard and given them to my mum.  It's the sort of stuff she buys anyway, in the main, so it's not like I'm reducing the quality of her diet.  I couldn't throw it away - I can't abide waste - so she was the perfect answer.

This doesn't mean that I am gong to be perfect, just that I have some cupboard space again and will be less likely to eat refined rubbish for fear of wasting it.  I've kept tins of beans, fruit, soup, jars of beansprouts, that sort of thing, and sauces.  In the main these are made from actual foodstuffs, spices, not anonymous flavourings,  and no colours.  They're not organic, but I can live with that.  I've not been on this project very long and I've already turned my diet around by a long way, so I am content with progress so far.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home