My Photo
Name:
Location: Sussex, United Kingdom

I'm Cathy, wife, daughter, vegan, animal lover, cat lover, dog owner, crocheter, childless, 60s, part-time home helper, part time personal shopper, part-time IT professional, amateur fundraiser. Looking to make my life as good as possible whilst causing as little harm as possible.

Monday, December 08, 2014

Best dinner yet!


Oh, that was good!  As is common, I had no idea when I went out into the kitchen what I was going to cook for myself for dinner.  But I happened upon the pack of wholegrain spelt spaghetti that I bought from Sainsbury and that decided me.


I chopped and briskly fried (in a little garlic-infused olive oil) half an organic onion and a big handful of organic button mushrooms  When almost cooked I added half an organic red pepper, sliced, half a tin of chickpeas and half a jar of commercial tomato cook-in sauce, and simmered. Meanwhile I boiled the spaghetti, then about 4 minutes before the end of cooking, I added three big leaves of organic dark spring greens cut into ribbons, to sit on top of the spaghetti and steam under the lid.  Just before serving I stirred a couple of dessertspoons of low-fat hummus into the sauce to make it creamy, and poured it over the spaghetti/greens mix.

It was *far* better than I expected.  The lemon in the hummus really zinged up the greens, which I'll have to remember because I usually use vinegar.  I would happily serve this to someone else, and there's not many things I cook that I'd say that about!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home