My Photo
Name:
Location: Sussex, United Kingdom

I'm Cathy, wife, daughter, vegan, animal lover, cat lover, dog owner, crocheter, childless, 60s, part-time home helper, part time personal shopper, part-time IT professional, amateur fundraiser. Looking to make my life as good as possible whilst causing as little harm as possible.

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Oh no, I'm a garlic monster


I fancied something different for breakfast today.  I mean, toast, yes obviously, but not peanut butter or hummus (I don't have any).  So I whizzed up a tin of butter beans, some black olives a couple of cloves of garlic and about a quarter of a lemon's worth of juice with a bit of water to ease the mixture, and had some on 2 slices of crisp toast (left the toast under the grill to cool, it gets crispier that way).  It was really good, but oh my word that garlic was strong.  Tasted great, but I can still taste it now, 8 hours later!

Food diary:
Friday 21st:
Breakfast: 2 slices toast, one with leftover bubble & squeak and a bit of brown sauce, the other with spread and mixed fruit jam.  Tea with soya milk
Lunch:  Wholewheat spaghetti with the last of the mung bean chilli and brussels sprouts.  Not a horrible combination, whatever you may be thinking!

Even quite pretty in its own way.


PM: Lemon & ginger tea from a bag and an apple.
Dinner:  My lunch was big and filling so I didn't feel the need for another cooked dinner, and I still didn't have any chocolate, so I made myself a big bowl of porridge as both nutritious and sweet.  I used porridge oats, water, soya milk, dates, walnuts and omega seed mix.  It was quite nice, but I can't get used to the bag of organic dates.  It has an "off" smell, faint but not nice, and the dates are hard even when simmered in water for the porridge.  It may just be a bad bag, or it may be that the variety of dates that can be successfully grown organically just isn't that nice.  We'll see.
I also had a couple of handfuls of cream crackers during the day when the munchies struck.

Today so far:
Breakfast: See above.
Lunch: The same as breakfast - glutton for punishment!  Glass of Alpro unsweetened coconut milk
PM: a pear, a kiwifruit

I'm currently debating what to have for dinner.  It should include leafy greens.  Maybe a winter salad.

Debate over - salad it was!
Dinner: one-bowl salad of finely-shredded savoy cabbage , grated carrot, red pepper, celery, apple, chick peas, cucumber, white mushrooms, French dressing, toasted walnuts and seed mix with pickled baby beetroots dressed with wholegrain mustard.  It was extremely tasty and I would definitely use savoy this way again; it was very pleasant combined with the dressing and the toasted seeds, in a way I would not have believed of something I normally dislike so much.

I'm not doing any of this to lose weight, but I am a pound lighter than before I started eating more healthily.  I'm not reading anything into that because a pound is easy to lose and gain, but I'm recording it to see if it carries on.

I went shopping to Sainsbury today for the first time for myself, and came back over £50 poorer.  I was both encouraged by what I was able to buy at an acceptable price (peanut butter, brown rice, porridge oats, tomato puree, kiwifruit and savoury biscuits amongst other things) and well cheesed off by the things I couldn't get there at all (organic frozen veg other than peas, organic dried beans other than green lentils, any fresh veg (other than mushrooms) at a price that didn't make me clench everything in shock).  I need to keep records of what I can get where.

Spot the non-deliberate mistake anyone? 
Yes, that is indeed a pack of non-organic Basics avocadoes
in my otherwise proudly-organic Sainsbury haul!

I also bought some non-organics, for reasons of economy and availability.  I bemoaned this to Dear Husband afterwards, and his response made a lot of sense.  He said, "you've been eating crap for so long I should think even eating non-organic fruit and veg would make a massive difference."  He is of course right.

3 Comments:

Blogger Just Humans Being said...

Fresh garlic is so good though, try roasting it instead if you find it too strong - wrap a whole bulb in foil & put in the oven for 30 minutes on a medium heat. Unwrap, cool & squeeze out the garlic paste - delicious!

Your Husband is right - just do what you can... You are already increasing your fibre intake & introducing more variety in your meals, as well as reducing your refined carbohydrates - which will be making a difference to your health.

I've never really noticed any difference between non-organic & organic dates, but I do buy medjool dates, which are usually gooey, sweet & easy to blend.

The quick recipe I mentioned before is: 50g chopped dates, 100ml milk & I usually use 50g carob powder (flour). Heat in a pan on low. If you don't like carob, you could use 25g cocoa & 25g dessicated coconut. Simmer for 10 minutes, then whizz up with a hand blender into a lovely paste with 1/2 tsp vanilla essence. You can eat it as it is (cooled in the fridge for an hour makes a nice mousse) or add a few chopped nuts, orange zest, oats, spices - whatever you like & turn the mixture into healthy truffles! It should make about 12 little balls. Dust them with cocoa & cinnamon for an extra kick & leave them to cool for an hour... If you can! :-) xx

22 November 2014 at 22:36  
Blogger Playing Hooky said...

That sounds wonderful, but making truffles is probably more of a faff that I would enjoy. The mousse Idea really appeals, and I may well use this at Christmas, thank you!
I was really proud of tonight's dinner! (Photo just uploaded to blog post). I remarked to DH when I finished it that my body can hardly believe what's happening to it - all these nutrients after months/years of Lidl 19p noodles and peanut butter on toast!
I am noticing improvements already, but they aren't the sort of thing that one talks about in public, if you get my drift! xx

23 November 2014 at 00:13  
Blogger Just Humans Being said...

Your food does look delicious - glad you're enjoying it! :-) xx

23 November 2014 at 22:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home